Dr. D. S. Kothari Postdoctoral Fellowship (DSKPDF) Scheme was introduced by the University Grants Commission (UGC) in year 2007 on the recommendation of the Empowered Committee (EC) chaired by Professor M. M. Sharma. In addition to the existing RA/PDF positions provided by various funding agencies, a need was felt for PDF scheme running in a flexible mode, with fast track, on-line handling and decision making. It was envisaged that the new PDF scheme must be tuned to the ground realities prevailing in our university system. The DSKPDF Scheme was also expected to provide an opportunity to many fresh Ph. D.’s to overcome the deficiencies in training at the doctoral level research and to explore new areas of research in better settings in the Indian University Sector.
DSKPDF Scheme is open for full time research work, predominantly to young researchers preferably below 35 years of age who have awarded their Ph. D. Degree under science faculty. The Reservation Policy of Government of India with regard to SC/ST/OBC/PH is followed. Appropriate age relaxations for reserved category/women candidates are given as per UGC guidelines. It is necessary that candidates identify Mentor for their postdoctoral Research work and obtain his/her consent for the guidance. DSKPDF is tenable only at the Science Departments of Indian Universities and UGC-funded inter-University centers (such as IUCAA, IUAC, UGC-DAE-CSR etc.) which are eligible to receive Development grants from the UGC. Thus the fellowship is not tenable in I.I.T.’s or CSIR/DRDO/DAE laboratories etc. These are also not tenable in colleges (either Autonomous or affiliated). In general, the postdoctoral work should be undertaken in a place different from where the candidate has carried out his/her doctoral studies. The Ph. D. Guide of the candidate cannot be chosen as his/her mentor for DSKPDF.
Eligibility and duration
Aspirant below 35 years of age (Up to 3, 5 and 10 years of age relaxation for OBC, SC/ST/Women and physically handicapped respectively is admissible), who are awarded a Ph. D. degree under science faculty are eligible to apply. It is necessary that candidate identifies a Mentor (affiliated to University/Institute wherein DSK Fellowship is tenable) for his/her postdoctoral Research work and obtain his/her consent for the mentorship. Higher PDF (with marginally elevated stipend) is admissible for those applicants, identified as outstanding by standing (core) peer committee of reviewers.
Teachers below age of 35, working on confirmed posts in Academic Institutes may also apply. However, along with the hard copy, they will be required to submit a certificate from their Head of the Institution (Registrar of University / Principal of a college) that the teacher will be given attest three years of sabbatical / special leave without financial support for carrying out their postdoctoral work.
The fellowship will be awarded on a yearly basis with renewal/termination clause on the basis of PDF mentor/peer group appraisal. However, the maximum duration of the PDF award would be 3 years. No extension is possible under any circumstances. Candidates should give an undertaking while availing the award, along with the endorsement of the research mentor that they would stay in place for a minimum of six months. Once the candidate is awarded the DSKPDF, and he/she joins the fellowship, he/she will not eligible to apply ever again for DSKPDF in the same or other workplace.
If applicant has already applied for Dr. D. S. Kothari Postdoctoral Fellowship and has been declared as unsuccessful, he/she is permitted to apply freshly with new research proposal only after one year from date of declaration of the earlier result.
Stipend: [Effective from 1st December 2014]
The monthly stipend for these awards would be as follows
- Normal fellowship for First, Second and third year is Rs. 43,400/-, Rs. 45,000/- and Rs. 46,500/- respectively
- Higher fellowship for First, Second and third year : Rs. 46,500/-
The Fellow is provided with a contingency grant of Rs. 1,00,000 p.a.
Important points to be noted before applying for the Postdoctoral Fellowship Scheme:
- These fellowships are open to candidates who have obtained Ph.D. degree in appropriate subjects (Sciences including Engineering and Medicine) and meant for full-time research work.
- These fellowships are open to young researchers below the age of 35 years. A relaxation up to 5 years in age is applicable for women as well as candidates belonging to Scheduled Caste (SC)/Scheduled Tribe (ST) categories. As per the decision of the Empowered committee in the 49th meeting, age relaxation of 3 & 10 years respectively to OBC and Physically Handicapped candidates will be available. Age relaxation up to 10 years for foreign nationals is also in force.
- DSKPDF is tenable only at the Science Departments of Indian Universities and UGC-funded inter-University centers (such as IUCAA, IUAC, UGC-DAE-CSR etc.) which are eligible to receive Development grants from the UGC. Thus the fellowship is not tenable in I.I.T.’s or CSIR/DRDO/DAE laboratories etc. These are also not tenable in colleges (either Autonomous or affiliated).
- In general, the postdoctoral work should be undertaken in a place different from where the candidate has carried out his/her doctoral studies. The Ph. D. Guide of the candidate cannot be chosen as his/her mentor for DSKPDF.
- As per the resolution of the UGC Empowered Committee meeting held on November 09, 2016, not more than three Dr. D. S. Kothari Postdoctoral Fellows should be allowed to work with a Mentor at any given time.
- It is necessary to identify a Mentor with whom the candidate would like to work for his/her postdoctoral research. The mentor should have successfully guided 3 Ph. D. students at the time of application of the candidate. Mentor consent expressing willingness to guide applicant postdoctoral work is needed to be produced at prior to the online application. Choosing Ph. D. guide as a postdoctoral mentor is not permitted under DSKPDF scheme.
- The faculty affiliated to an institution wherein DSK Fellowship is tenable and has successfully supervised at least three Ph.D. students can act as a Mentor for the applicant applying for DSKPDF. Number of students who have submitted the Ph.D. thesis, but have not been awarded the degree cannot be counted for this purpose.
- DSKPDF scheme also has an international flavor and open to students from other parts of the world, particularly to those from developing and neighboring countries.
- Young teachers working on confirmed posts in Academic Institutes may also apply.
CLICK THE FOLLWING LINKS
Enquiries under application
|The National Coordinator,|
Dr. D.S. Kothari Postdoctoral Fellowship Cell
C/o Interdisciplinary School of Scientific Computing
Savitribai Phule Pune University
Ganeshkhind Post Office
Pune 411 007.
Phone No: (020) 25601406, +91 9422044046
Working Hours: 10:30 to 17:30 Monday to friday (except on public holidays)
Email ID: email@example.com
Enquiries under RTI
Enquires under Right to Information (RTI) act may be directed to UGC, New Delhi and not to the DSKPDF Cell, Pune