Advt. No: NISER/ACAD/PhD/2019-20(2)
Applications are invited from Indian citizens for admission to the PhD program scheduled to commence from 2nd January 2020 in the following schools of NISER, Bhubaneswar:
1. School of Biological Sciences (SBS)
2. School of Chemical Sciences (SCS)
3. School of Physical Sciences (SPS)
4. School of Humanities and Social Sciences (SHSS)
5. School of Computer Sciences (SCPS)
Biological Sciences Stream:
60 Per cent or equivalent GPA in Masters or M.Tech in any branches of Biology, Life Sciences, Pharmaceutical Sciences, Agricultural Sciences, Veterinary Sciences, Computer Sciences, Bioinformatics and Biotechnology. Students with Master’s degree in Physics, Chemistry or Mathematics having an interest in pursuing a career in Biology are encouraged to apply.
The requirement of Qualifying in National Level Examinations for pursuing PhD program.
Candidates should have qualified at least one of the national level written examinations i.e. CSIR-UGC-NET/ GATE/ GPAT/ DBT/ ICMR/ JEST/ JGEEBILS/ ICSSR or any other national level written examinations valid for the academic year 2019-2020. As per HBNI Ordinance, student having DST INSPIRE Doctoral Fellowship ONLY, without qualifying any such national level written examination will not be considered for admission to the PhD program in NISER.
a) The cutoff marks for national level examinations such as GATE/JEST/CSIR-UGC-NET etc. will be decided separately by each School for the relevant subject area.
b) Those who have appeared for CSIR-UGC-NET examination held on June 2019 and awaiting results may also apply. However, such candidates, if shortlisted have to produce the qualifying mark statement of CSIR-UGC-NET examination on the date of PhD written test/interview, failing which his/her candidature will be rejected automatically.
c) Candidates with GPA in qualifying degree may need to produce the conversion note (in case it is not mentioned in their mark sheet) from their institution towards the calculation of percentage.
- The institute fellowship given by NISER is Rs. 31,000/- per month for the first two years, which will subsequently be enhanced to Rs. 35,000/- per month for remaining three years, subject to the fulfilment of all the requirements of the Institute that will be stipulated from time to time.
- Students with an external fellowship from agencies viz. CSIR, UGC etc. will be eligible to draw fellowship as per the extant rules of the respective funding agencies.
School of Biological Sciences
- Study of membrane biogenesis: Mechanism and regulation of nuclear remodelling and role of dynamins and microtubules.
- Molecular Microbiology: Functional significance of membrane proteins and mechanisms underlying bacterial persistence.
- Rational drug discovery, molecular and cellular target validation, Structural bioinformatics and computational biology.
- Neuroendocrine regulation, Neural circuitry of energy balance and reproduction.
- Structure-function studies on terminase complex proteins of herpesviruses.
- Cellular Regulation of morphogenesis and the degradation of complex cell shapes.
- Evolutionary origins, biogeography and systematics of biota within the Indian subcontinent.
- Phylogeography and species diversification patterns.
- Mechanism of membrane remodelling during host-pathogen interactions.
• The selection committee of the respective schools will short-list the candidates among those who meet the minimum educational qualifications and meet additional criteria that each school could set as deemed necessary.
• The short-listed candidates will be called for an interview, supplemented with a written exam, if needed, for the admission.
• dependent on the academic record along with the performance of the candidates in the selection procedure, the selection committee of this school will recommend candidates to the Chairman, Academic Council for admission to the PhD program.
• All candidates known for the Test / Interview will be paid to and fro single, second sleeper class railway fare by the shortest route from their place of residence to the Institute/venue of this Test and Interview. They must produce evidence (railway ticket) in support of the claim.
How to Apply:
- The application form needs to be filled up online at http://www.niser.ac.in and applicants ought to follow stepwise instructions mentioned to finish the application submission procedure. At the time of application, along with this online form, the candidate must upload a soft copy of the supporting documents according to the eligibility standards.
- Candidates planning to apply for more than 1 school must fill up online application forms for each school and submit separate forms with appropriate supporting documents.
- Two sealed letters of reference in the prescribed format with the signature of the referee on the envelope ought to be generated by the student in the time of the interview. The format of the reference letter can be obtained online.
- NISER doesn’t demand any application fee from the candidates that apply for the PhD program.
Tentative dates for test/interview are given hereunder:
1. School of Biological Sciences: 10th, 11th & 12th December 2019
2. School of Chemical Sciences: 9th & 10th December 2019
3. School of Computer Sciences: 9th & 10th December 2019
4. School of Humanities and Social Sciences: 29th November 2019
5. School of Physical Sciences: 6th December 2019
- Each school will send the call letters to the candidates individually.
- kindly refer to this site for the announcement of the chosen candidates.
- The registration is scheduled to be held on 2nd January 2020 (Thursday).
- If you have any additional query, kindly send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org for Biological Sciences, Chemical Sciences, Computer Sciences, Humanities & Social Sciences and Physical Sciences, respectively.
- Applicants are invited to see the school website for information on research activities.
Checklist for application submission:
During online submission, you Will Have to have the following ready with you for uploading;
- JPEG file of your passport size photograph.
- JPEG file of your valid signatures.
- Birth Certificate/10th pass certification in support of date of birth as a PDF file.
- Certification in support of category (SC/ST), just if applicable.
- Certification and mark sheets in support of passing qualifying exam i.e Master’s degree. In case the original pass certificate is not issued by University then a certificate from the University on its letterhead with the seal of the concerned authority certifying the completion of degree should be submitted.
- Certification (s)/document(s) in support of qualifying national degree exam (s) viz. CSIR-UGC-NET/GATE/GPAT/DBT/ICMR/JEST or any other as applicable.
- Candidates who have appeared CSIR-UGC-NET exam held on June 2019, and awaiting the result are required to upload the CSIR-UGC-NET admit card at the time of submission of online application.
Address for communication and more details:
Faculty-In Charge (Academic Affairs),
National Institute of Science Education and Research (NISER),
P.O.Jatni, Dist-Khurda, Odisha-752050
Phone: 0674-2494013, Fax-0674-2494004
• The online application will be activated on – 01.10.2019 (Tuesday)
• Last date for filling up online application – 31.10.2019 (Thursday)
View Notification Below