Shah Rukh Khan Scholarship at La Trobe
Aligned to Shah Rukh Khan’s leadership on social and humanitarian justice causes, this esteemed four-year PhD scholarship intends to inspire a female researcher from India to undertake research to help find solutions to the growing challenges of the time. The scholarship has been introduced in recognition of Mr Khan’s dedication to women’s empowerment, through his Meer Foundation.
Registrations opened today for research candidates to submit their interest for the scholarship by 30 August 2019. The successful candidate will be a female Indian national who has finished a Masters by Research degree (or equivalent) over the past ten years.
The candidate will be supported with a four-year research scholarship valued in excess of $200,000 (AUD) to be finished at La Trobe’s state-of-the-art facilities in Melbourne, Australia. They’ll undertake research supervised by the University’s leading experts in health sport, information technology, cybersecurity or engineering.
The announcement was made during Shah Rukh Khan’s visit to La Trobe University as the chief guest of the 2019 Indian Film Festival of Melbourne. La Trobe is the first Australian University to award Shah Rukh Khan with an Honorary Degree, Doctor of Letters (honoris causa), in recognition of his wide-ranging humanitarian work, such as establishing the Meer Foundation to encourage and empower women who’ve survived acid attacks in India.
La Trobe Vice-Chancellor, Professor John Dewar, said Mr Khan’s philanthropic leadership drove the decision to make a PhD scholarship in his name.
“The Shah Rukh Khan La Trobe University PhD Scholarship recognises Mr Khan’s extraordinary altruism, demonstrated in his work to advocate for women’s empowerment,” Professor Dewar stated.
“Reflecting La Trobe’s values of inclusivity, equity and social justice, this scholarship will offer a special and potentially life-changing opportunity for an Indian woman to conduct research in a critical area affecting the world such as cybersecurity, health or engineering.”
Shah Rukh Khan welcomed the announcement of a scholarship in his name.
“As a passionate advocate for women’s equality and empowerment, I’m delighted that this scholarship will give an Indian woman a chance to pursue research in a field which is likely to lead her towards an exciting and successful career. I thank La Trobe University wholeheartedly for giving someone this wonderful opportunity,” Mr Khan said.
The Shah Rukh Khan La Trobe University PhD Scholarship recipient will receive benefits such as:
- A four-year La Trobe University Full-Fee Research Scholarship
- a La Trobe Graduate Research Scholarship for 3 and a half years, with a value of $27,596 (AUD) per annum (2019 rate) to support living costs
- visa length Overseas Student Health Cover for a single candidate
- access to La Trobe’s world-class research facilities, a suite of professional development programs and supervision by award-winning researchers
Interested applicants should submit their eligibility for the Shah Rukh Khan La Trobe University PhD Scholarship by 30 August 2019.
To learn more regarding scholarship eligibility criteria, please refer to www.latrobe.edu.au/srk
- La Trobe University is ranked in the top 1.2 percent of Universities worldwide
*Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2019 | Webometrics Ranking Web of Universities 2019
- Dignitaries that La Trobe University has hosted from the Indian subcontinent include, Prime Minister Mrs Indira Gandhi, Kapil Dev, Malaika Arora Khan, Amitabh Bachchan, Rajkumar Hirani and Abhijat Joshi
- La Trobe University is one of only two universities in Australia teaching Hindi, along with the only Australian University to teach a subject on the history, music, and storytelling of popular Hindi cinema
- La Trobe University is among the founding members of the Australia India Institute
- In 2005, La Trobe’s Melbourne campus in Bundoora was showcased in the first major Bollywood blockbuster film to be made entirely in Australia, Salaam Namaste, the film collected close to $10mil US at the box office.
- La Trobe University alumni currently hold senior positions on boards throughout the world with over 19,000 graduates with Indian and Chinese heritage.
- The La Trobe Library collection houses over 38,000 volumes of monographs, magazines, journals and government publications from India, among the biggest collections in Australia.
For enquiries concerning the PhD Scholarship, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Shah Rukh Khan La Trobe University PhD Scholarship
The Shah Rukh Khan La Trobe University PhD Scholarship recognises Mr Khan’s humanitarian and social justice accomplishments inspiring communities throughout the world to make positive change. This research scholarship intends to deliver a life-changing chance for an aspiring female researcher from India to make a significant influence in the world.
The successful candidate will be supported with a four (4) year research scholarship valued in excess of $200,000 (AUD) to be undertaken at La Trobe’s prestigious campus in Melbourne, Bundoora. She is going to have the chance to explore a research focus from a vast assortment of themes under the supervision of world-leading experts at a university ranked in the top 1.2% globally *.
Applications are only being accepted in 2019 as part of the celebrations for Shah Rukh Khan’s visit to La Trobe’s Melbourne Campus, where he received his first Australian university Honorary Degree, Doctor of Letters (honoris causa). This prestigious scholarship is presented in recognition of Mr Khan’s wide-ranging humanitarian work, including establishing the Meer Foundation to encourage and enable women who’ve survived acid attacks in India.
Shah Rukh Khan’s philanthropic leadership reflects the University’s values of inclusiveness, equity and social justice. Our scholarship with the Indian icon continues our five-decade history of involvement with Indian culture — from academic programs to study tours, research partnerships and student exchanges.
Interested candidates who meet the scholarship criteria are encouraged to submit an eligibility form by 12 pm (AEST) 30 August 2019 through the online submission form. People who fulfil the eligibility criteria and can secure supervision will be invited to apply. The application has to be submitted by the closing date: 30 September 2019. It’s anticipated that the successful candidate will start her research placement at La Trobe University in early 2020.
Concerning the scholarship:
The Shah Rukh Khan La Trobe University PhD Scholarship is offered to a female Indian applicant to undertake a PhD at La Trobe University in one of the following research areas:
- information technology
Applicants need to have a high level of achievement, such as a Masters by research degree in a related discipline completed within the previous ten years assessed at a La Trobe Masters by research degree standard of 70 or over, or equal.
The recipient will be supported with a variety of benefits, such as:
- A La Trobe Full Fee Research Scholarship for four years to undertake a PhD at La Trobe, Melbourne, Australia
- a La Trobe University Graduate Research Scholarship for 3 and a half years, with a value of 27,596 AUD per annum (2019 rate) to support her living costs
- visa length Overseas Student Health Cover for a single candidate
- chances to work with award-winning researchers and also have access to our suite of professional development programs.
If you are not eligible for the Shah Rukh Khan La Trobe University PhD Scholarship have a look at La Trobe’s other scholarship opportunities.
To qualify for the scholarship, you should be a female Indian national with a Master’s by research degree in a related discipline completed over the last ten years. Your final grade has to be equal to a La Trobe Masters by research degree standard of 70 or above.
How to apply for the Shah Rukh Khan La Trobe University PhD Scholarship
Step 1: Check your eligibility and submit an eligibility
Please complete and submit the eligibility form.
We recommend that you submit your eligibility form as soon as possible. Submissions close at 12 pm (AEST) on 30 August 2019.
Step 2: Eligibility Assessment, supervisor confirmation and submit your application
If we evaluate that you’re possibly eligible for the Shah Rukh Khan La Trobe University PhD Scholarship, then we’ll contact prospective supervisors in your proposed research area on your behalf. In case you’ve already made contact with any academic supervisors at La Trobe, or you’ve got suggestions of that could be right for your project, please supply details in your eligibility form.
After we determine that you’re potentially eligible and supervision is available, you’ll get an invitation to submit your application along with the application form will be emailed to you.
If invited to apply, you’ll be asked to submit your application by 12.00pm (AEST) 30 September 2019.
Please, notice that the following documents will Have to Be included with your application:
- Your University academic transcripts and completion certificates (originals or certified copies)
- your professional CV (resume) outlining relevant work experience, academic awards, prior research background, etc.
- A copy of any publications you’ve been involved in
- a copy of your Master’s thesis or equivalent (with at least two chapters translated into English if it’s not written in English)
- a preliminary research proposal of no more than 300 words (should you require assistance, use our Guide to Writing a Research Proposal [PDF 68KB])
- your birth certificate or citizenship certificate to confirm you are an Indian national
- documentary evidence of your English language proficiency (if required).
You’ll also have to organise two academic referees, that will need to complete a referee report form and email it directly to us. We’ll provide additional instructions once we invite you to submit your application.
We anticipate you’ll be notified of the outcome of your application by mid-December 2019. If you’re unsuccessful for the Shah Rukh Khan La Trobe University PhD Scholarship you might be considered for another La Trobe University Graduate Research Scholarship. You’ll be informed of the alternate opportunity when advised of the outcome of your application for the Shah Rukh Khan La Trobe University PhD Scholarship.
1 scholarship will be offered along with the successful candidate will be notified in mid-December 2019.
To learn more, please contact La Trobe University at email@example.com